1. How can Milledgeville Cares help me?
Please refer to services on this site, which is a listing of what services we render. In addition, we can refer you to agencies whose primary purpose it is to help people like you. (See our Directory under the Find Help link.) Sometimes, we can get help from volunteers in the community. The resources listed here can be of great help to you, as well.
2. Can you give me money or pay my bills?
Sometimes we have funding to make personal donations, but not always. We are volunteers with no agency providing funding for us. Although we cannot provide direct assistance at times, we can make referrals to those who may have the means to help and we can provide other services that benefit the recipient. We are making links among all organizations in Milledgeville that serve those among us who are most in need.
3. Why did you refer me to an agency that won’t help me?
Every agency has regulations about the number of times a person can receive help and the “cap” amount one can receive. Sometimes other criteria must be met as well. We do not know your history and if you qualify for help. In addition, we have no knowledge of availability of funding of other agencies. Some agencies depend on government grants that are funded periodically throughout the year, and we are not aware of when funds are received. Furthermore, there have been many, many more requests for funds from these agencies, so there is not enough money to meet the needs.
Sometimes we make referrals to sources that cannot provide assistance for the following reasons:
- Organizations rely directly on volunteer donations and/or grant money, and there is only a limited amount of funding available.
- Grant money is received periodically throughout the year, so sometimes no money is available for a few days or weeks.
- Volunteer giving is down in churches due to the economic downturn, and they have to pay their own expenses first.
- The numbers of those who are in need has grown tremendously; more people are asking for funding, so there is less to “go around.”
- People, in general, do not know or understand the needs of many, many people in our community; therefore, they do not share.
4. Why don’t churches help me more?
Because of the economic situation, donations are down in churches, as well. Some church members have experienced lay-offs, furlough days, reduced hours, pay cuts; and, in addition, they are forced to pay increased prices to provide for their own needs, so they have less to share with others. Our economy is not as strong as it once was.
5. How can I help Milledgeville Cares?
- Please refer to the list of needs we have listed under Volunteers.
- Office volunteers are needed to work for a while on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays.
- During this time of financial crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic, funding is sorely needed and greatly appreciated. Please send contributions to Milledgeville Cares, Inc. to P.O. Box 754, Hardwick, GA 31034.
Donations may also be made through the Venmo app, by scanning the QR barcode with a cell phone camera, or by searching the username Milledgeville-CaresInc.
You may contact us for more information at 457-5311.
- In addition, we always need crews to pick up and deliver donations. We would like to establish a list of strong, healthy people from whom we can get volunteers periodically to avoid some few doing all the work. If you would help occasionally when it is convenient, let us know, please! Call the number above.